Saturday, April 21, 2012

work smerk

We have a large family.
I like to have fun.

When you put those two things together, it ends up being lots of dough.

So I gotta work.

I always have my hand in a few pots. I am so thankful and lucky that my friends always have their ear to the ground and will let me know when there are job opportunities. And boy-o-boy, have I done it all. Right now what is keeping me busy is working for a local catering company.

I was pretty nervous when I started because it had been quite a while since I was a server at the Busy Bee.  I knew I could do it.  Duh.  (i can do anything - cause i am perfect, remember?)

It is really fun to see the way other people live.  I knew that people had fancy parties, dinners, weddings, etc., etc.  But I just had no idea.

big huge fresh flowers
there were many of these in the tent and outside

don't tell anyone i took these pictures, i could get in big fat trouble

And the food.  Good Lord, the food is crazy.  I have been so lucky to try so many different types of food because of this job.  Things that I would never ever in a million years eat.  I have huge respect and admiration for the chefs that work at the company.  I don't know how they make all of that food taste so delicious and be so beautiful.  It is truly something to see.

for this wedding, the bride had 5 cakes.
yes, you read that right.
And some of the venues and homes I have been into are amazing.  The most breath taking views.  The biggest most beautiful homes.  It is sometimes hard to believe that people actually live like this.  I have been to The Salt Lick (sounds lame, but it is truly a beautiful wedding venue), University of Texas, UT Chancellor's house, Blanton Museum, Laguna Gloria, and many many MANY private homes for private dinner parties.  I love seeing what is happening at the party and trying to learn about what the guests are celebrating.  Some of my favorites have been watching a very smart person receive a $50K gift from UT for their research and working a Passover dinner.  At both of those events I was full on breaking my neck to hear what the people were saying and doing.

this picture does not even come close to capturing how beautiful it was
I am sad to report that I have spilled on the job.  And of course, we are not talking just little spills.  Oh no, the first time was at the UT Chancellor's house.  Full tray with 3 reds, 3 white and 3 champagne.  An older woman bumped into me, it spilled all over me and every single glass broke.  I was totally shocked when it happened, but I was able to laugh it off, change and move on. 

The second time was at Laguna Gloria and it was totally my fault.  Fortunately the tray wasn't very full.  Unfortunately, it was that dang red wine again.  It was SO crappy.  It frazzled me to the core.  When it happened I said a few four letter words very loudly - in front of guests. (because I am cool that way)  And then I went to the bathroom to 'clean up' (read try to not cry) and stayed in there for a while.  It sucked.

hiding in bathroom
trying not to cry
taking bad pictures of myself
the old lady apologized
i just couldn't believe it happened

The worst part about the job is that my feet hurt SO SO SO bad when I get home.  I have gone back and forth between wearing my Dansko clogs and a pair of Born black lace up shoes.  You can't even imagine how bad my feet hurt.  And after long events, I can barely move the next day.

look momma, i hemmed my pants all by myself!!!

In addition to all of the cool food, I have learned a lot about drinks.  And what I have learned more than anything else is that EVERYONE DRINKS.  I have never worked a party where there hasn't been a bar.  NEVER.

empty tequila bottle
the bartenders were calling this burning bush tequila


Another thing that I have loved about this job is that I have gotten ALL of my work clothes at GoodWill.  Yesterday I bought 2 new shirts (literally with the store tags will attached) and a pair of black work pants.  All for less than $15!!!  Which is really great when you consider my spill rate.  ha.
very proud of my purchase

So as I get ready for my 14 hour day today, I know that I have so many things to be thankful for.  And even though the work is sometimes back breaking and I can't usually walk the next day, I can also see that it is a load of fun.  And when I think about missing my family and I am sad because I am missing their games, their sleepovers, driving them to babysit, and the general laying around of Saturday nights - I know that this is what I've got to be doing because we like to have fun.  And until we win the lottery, I will keep serving folks with a smile.

anything for these people

And a side note:  I didn't mention that all of this is made so so so much more fun because I get to work with my dear dear friends Kristin (who told me about the job) and Stephanie (who I told about the job).  It is weird that I couldn't find any pictures of us at work - but I'll work on that.

And if you happen to have any side jobs that you need help with, let me know.  :)