Monday, September 2, 2013

11, 10, 8, 5, K

 

Thankful that they are all still willing to get up early to take this yearly picture
The first day of school came and went and somehow we have ended up on week two and I still haven't posted the yearly blog back to school post.

standing tall
As expected, I cried.  A LOT.
The kids were excited.

They were all looking forward to seeing their friends.
I think they were even excited to get back to a routine.



my heart.
I can't believe that Sam is going into 11th grade.  I am so proud of the young man that he is turning into.  It is just a shame that he might not know it.  Sam is a hard worker, great listener, happy introvert and always there when we need him.   It is true - everything you hear about teenage boys.  I hope that it is also true that he will come back to us someday soon.  I miss the sound of his voice.  I am fascinated to hear what his thoughts are on the world we live in.  I like the kid and I am looking forward to the day that we will speak again.


Giving money and power to the government is like
giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
PJ O'Rourke

My Ella Bella is in 10th grade this year.  She is smart, sweet, athletic, flexible and a great friend.  I am increasingly aware of the ways that we are so much alike - although it would be torture for her to hear those words uttered from my mouth.  I cant imagine what being a teenage girl in this day and age must be like.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed with sadness that I cannot be her friend right now.  As much as I want to, I have got to stay the course on this parenting thing.  There have been struggles - so so many struggles.  I hope she hears me when I say that I LOVE HER and this too shall pass.  She is going to make it through these years.  I know it in my heart.  I want her to come out on the other side as strong and confident as I know she is.  How do we get there?  I just don't know.

I just spotted some ducks practicing their teenage girl faces.
Author Unknown

Our Jena Bean is starting her last year of junior high - 8th grade and we say THANK YOU JESUS!!!  Jena is our PB&J everyday kid.  She likes things to stay the same.  Sadly for her - in 8th grade everything is wonky.  Jena is a loyal friend, a list maker/task master and extremely devoted to her family.  She is at a crossroads right now of not knowing what she wants to do and we aren't helping matters by making her stick with the things she has already started.  (even when we know those things suck)   I think Jena has somehow managed to inherit every single one of my sarcasm genes and at her young age - she is already a graduate of Smart Assimus University.  Thankfully for me, the sharp tongue knows its place and she still freely gives hugs and is ready to talk and share at all times.  I hope her willingness to talk about her feelings, fun and friends with me never ever goes away.

I think it is safe to say that the average teenage girl feels about 50 different emotions in one second.
Author Unknown

Our Miles is in 5th grade now.  I think this could truly be the last year that he can be called a little boy.  Miles is sensitive, curious, genuine and loyal.  We often have to fight him to take a bath, he would be thrilled if he never had to clean his room and if allowed, he might wear the same underwear and socks for a full month and never ever cut his fingernails and toenails again.  That's my boy!  He has recently become obsessed with all things MineCraft and it brings me great joy to watch him and his dad play together. 

Inside every hardened criminal beats the heart of a ten-year-old boy.
Bart Simpson
  
Wyatt started kindergarten this year.  The day he has been waiting for his entire life has finally arrived.  Wyatt is a cuddle bug, worships his big brothers and sisters and is dying to always impress anyone that is around!  He spends most of his time trying to keep up with the older kids and their friends.  We have had a particularly hard time this year trying to help him understand that sometimes the older kids get to be with their friends without you hanging around.  We are working hard on ABCs and 123s.  And hope that he never has any reason to know that he is the youngest in the class.  And I am trying hard for him not to see how sad I am every day when he leaves.
 

 
Boys are God's way of telling you that your house is too neat.
Author Unknown
 
Wanna take a trip down memory lane and see with your own eyes how these kids have changed?  It is seriously a trip.
 
2012 
 
Don't know what happened to 2011 (guess I slept through it) and sad that we didn't have a digital camera before 2007.  :(

No comments: