Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cleaning House Makes Me Cry

For the last 4 weeks, Ella and Sam have been spending 5 days a week in Manvel to help my mom. They have enjoyed hanging with her and living the slow country life.

Well, I got a wild hair yesterday and decided that I'd try to re-arrange their rooms before I pick them up tomorrow.

Around our house I have a reputation of making rooms look like a tsunami hit while in the process of cleaning.

I have stuff scattered everywhere. While pulling and piling, I don't pay much attention to what I am touching. I am just trying to get the junk outta the way so that I can move the big furniture.

So I am in Sam's room and I have begun putting things where they belong. I pick up a canvas from the pile and turn it over. I am not really sure what I am seeing at first - and then it hits me. It is me. A pencil drawing of me. A pencil drawing of me holding a baby that says Merry Christmas.

I kind of sit and look at it for a while. I am trying to figure out what the deal is. Do I tell him that I've seen it? Do I put it back under the bed? What do I do?!?!?!?!?!

Naturally, I can't let the dog lie - so I call him.

It turns out, he had paid a kid in one of his classes to draw this picture of me and Wyatt. He was going to give it to me for Christmas, but he wasn't pleased with the way that it turned out.

I try my hardest not to start bawling and squalling on the phone. I tell him thank you and that I love it. And then I hang up and sit in the room and cry for a good long while.

What a kind thing to do.
What a beautiful gesture.
What a thoughtful kid.

I really think that someday this kid is going to be a great husband to some sweet young lady.

No comments: