Saturday, July 30, 2011

Eyes Wide Open

Friday afternoon we went to Waco because Miles was scheduled to swim in the Games of Texas - the state swim meet. The week leading up to the meet, he overheard one of his coaches refer to this as the Texas Olympics. It turns out, that was a pretty good description. Athletes came from all over Texas to participate in many events.

Because of Miles needing to be at the pool super early Saturday morning, we chose not to participate in the parade of athletes or any of the game opening ceremonies. As we were driving back from dinner though, we saw the incredible fireworks display over the river. Wow wee!!! These folks do know how to put on a fireworks show! It was a great display that lasted a good amount of time. The kids were thrilled since we haven't seen fireworks in such a long time.

The next morning we saw a beautiful sky. Makes me wonder if we would see this every morning if we were out and driving around at 6:00am. The kids and I just could not get over the colors and the beauty.

Miles and his City of Austin teammates did very well in their medley relay. I first posted that they received 4th place overall, but the final result was 6th. In my book that is still pretty darn fantastic! All of these South Austin boys worked hard and were super proud of their accomplishment.

It is always such a cool feeling to watch your kid do something that you could never do yourself. I had such a feeling of pride watching him have fun and excel.

In less than 24 hours, I saw fireworks light up the Waco sky, a beautiful sunrise and a confident boy swim with all of his heart. I am so glad that I was able to share these things with my family.

I am thankful that I had my eyes wide open.

1 comment:

Antoinette said...

Congrats to Miles! Looks like a super day.