Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Notice I Feel

I was thinking today about things that I love. Some of you may know that I love (truly love) people that smile. Now I know that could sound absolutely goofy to most of you. But have you ever stopped to notice the smiley people. They are the people that smile all of the time. Smile when they are walking, talking, singing, eating...and not just smiling with their mouths - smiling with their whole body. They are the sunshine people. Not necessarily perky, but with an obvious ease to which they move. Maybe you might even say an inner peace.

I took the kids to Baskin Robbins today. It is the old school BR in the 'hood. We prefer to go to the old one because there is an older Middle Eastern man that is always working and he has a smile in his step. He is always happy to see us and EVERYONE that walks through the door. His SMILE (gratitude, happiness, love for life) is contagious. Our kids have heard me comment about him on more than one occasion. They now say that he has 'EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!'

I notice the smile of most everyone I come in contact with. Is it forced? Are they doing it because it is their job? There is such a glaring difference between a sincere smile and the $10.00 per hour they made me do this smile.

I think a lot about the smiles that move me. I can close my eyes and see the smile of my dH. I can hear his laugh and feel the smile. I carry the smiles of the four angels with me all day everyday. Sometimes that is all I need to get me through. I think of the smile of my brother and realize that it is the very same smile that he had when we were kids. Time has taken us apart from each other, but he is still the same on the inside with the same beautiful smile. I can see the drool covered smile of #4's BFF. It was one of the most sincere, innocent and loving smiles that has ever touched my heart. We also have many adult friends whose smiles stay with me.

I can also honestly say that there are people in my life that I love very much that I cannot remember their smile or think of the last time I saw them smile. Was I not looking? Did my childlike memories take those images away from me?

I wonder if our kids will grow up remembering that I smiled? Will they remember feeling the love in my smile and the love in my heart? Will they know that even though it looks like I am not smiling on the outside, the inside of me is bursting with love and pride and happiness?

I think they will grow up remembering that I could laugh at myself and with them. They will remember that the smiles of loved ones and strangers bring me joy on a daily basis. And that I love them.

3 comments:

Heather and Stephen said...

I'm going to make it a point to notice smiles more! and I had a dream about that drool covered smile. :)

Anonymous said...

You did NOT tell me that you were blogging. Well, yes you did when we were talking about site meters. I guess I was thinking you were talking about the picture site of your family that ya'll have. You need to link that here. I see that you have linked me. Oh my! I feel like I have a lot to live up to now. I put you on my feed reader, so you have to blog a lot, now:) Not once a week, Like Heather ;)

I came away from our conversation feeling a little sad, and I can't find your email address. So give me a call. I know we are always saying we should make a better attempt at communication. I really want to.

As far as smiling goes, I know that I don't. I am always being told to cheer up, when I'm feeling just fine and dandy.
Love,
christy

Medium Rare Please: said...

You know, I always thought of YOU as a happy lil' smiler. Good to see another old friend on the interweb. It's fun to keep up this way.

(greg g)