Sunday, July 1, 2007

To Flag or Not To Flag



One of my favorite holidays is July 4th. As long as I can remember, I've loved it. I love the parades, the watermelon, the cooking out, the firecrackers, and most of all, the official day to stop and be thankful for our freedom and celebrate our America. I LOVE IT ALL!! So, getting in the spirit of our upcoming independence celebration, I decided to go to the store and buy some flags to decorate our little section of the neighborhood.

You can drive down many neighborhood streets in Austin and find small flags lining the road at the end of each driveway. Some put them there as an advertisement (i.e.: gift from realtor) while others are put into the ground by the HOA. I LOVE the way it looks. It gives me a huge amount of pride to drive down the road and see the flags flying in the wind.

So, I bought six flags (my budget was $5). I went outside with #2 and we stuck them in the ground at the end of our driveway, the neighbors on each side of us, and the three houses directly across the street from us. Easy enough and I love being able to look out the front windows and get a little glimpse of old glory. Well, who knew our little flags would cause such a debate.

I was very proud of our 'good deed' - so I called dH and the kids out to view the work. dH immediately said "did you ask them first". Of course I didn't ask them first - I was doing something nice and friendly and neighborly - why do I need to ask? I feel like it is harmless. So naturally, I've seen three of the neighbors and asked if it was ok and they all said yes and thank you. But I am still going back to the fact that it was even questioned. This has lead me to start a little survey. I've asked 4 of our bestest friends what they would think if they came home and there was a flag in their driveway. The votes are split. Two of my girlfriends say that they wouldn't think anything of it or that they think it would be nice. Another of my girlfriends and one of my guy friends think it could be rude or weird. One even said "how do you know they aren't in the Taliban?' (I think he was kinda joking)

So I wanna know what you think. Is it rude for me to think that everyone is overflowing with pride for our good ol' USA or should I be more aware that everyone doesn't feel the way I feel? I didn't mean to spluge my love for our country onto others - but jeez, it is the FORTH OF JULY!!! Am I looking at this all wrong?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it's great that you would do that, but...i see that some would think it's weird for someone else to decorate their driveway/yard. we recently bought a flag and pole for the house. being Scouts we have a flag ceremony everytime it goes up or down. you know i love a flag ceremony:)