Monday, January 26, 2009

Camera Worthy

There are a lot of times that I wish I had the camera with me. Most of the time I am at the store and have left the camera in the car and it is too hard to go back to the car and grab it with all of the kids in tow.

Well today, I actually took the baby out of the basket and we went back to get the camera because I was so frustrated.

We buy a LOT of groceries. I primarily shop at Sam's Club, Sun Harvest and HEB. Sun Harvest is a little grocery store that offers top quality products. I go to Sun Harvest once a week. I only shop the ad. If there is something that we eat and it is on sale, then I buy it. Their sales are incredible. Last week, I went over our grocery budget because they had boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for $1.77 per pound. That is more than half off. I spent $20 extra dollars on groceries because it was such a good deal.

So all of this to say, I do really love Sun Harvest.

But today, man-o-man, today, I was irritated. I go in to see what is on special. The things that interest me are the green bell peppers (2 for $1), the large tomatoes (2lbs for $1), the D'Anjou pears ($.77 per lb.) and the Fuji apples (2lbs for $1).

I went to check out and my total was $9.76. I knew it wasn't the right total, but there was a long line behind me and I had that moment of self doubt that I must have seen a price wrong.

Well, low and behold, I go back to the produce department to check my prices and this is what I found. They charged me $1.49 per lb. for Gala apples instead of $.50 per lb for Fuji apples. ARGHH!!! I'm holding a small baby trying to pick out and bag up the best apples. I didn't take time to look at the little stickers. Apparently, there are TWO types of apples on this display. Don't you think that a sign would be nice???? I grabbed the apples on my left because I thought they were prettier. They weren't $.99 per lb. prettier though. Can you see my confusion???

And then I had to stand back in the line and get a refund. Now don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not a hater. It just really bugged me that I was made to feel like I had the problem - not the guy in produce. I asked him if all of the apples on that stand were on sale, he replied with a dry 'no - just the Fuji'. I am not sure what planet he is living on, but a savings of $3.53 is a big deal to me.

That is THREE Route 44 sodas at Sonic during happy hour.

3 comments:

Amy J. said...

"That is THREE Route 44 sodas at Sonic during happy hour."

--Amen, Sistah! Same exact thing happened to me at the hugely annoying HEB Plus a couple months ago, but with peaches. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

the EXACT same thing happened to me one time when I was buying feeder fish! I made the mistake, but instead of their being helpful, or nice the little girl who worked at the pet store decided to take the "I've never seen you here before" route!

KC, unless a person is a super apple connoisseur, anyone could make that mistake they are practically the same. A little preplanning on the produce departments part will save a lot of customer's headaches. You should call the manager.

Heather and Stephen said...

I don't know how I missed this post before. I saw the trees and milk and happy baby ones!

Definitely let's have some clarity, it would solve everyone a headache! And I KNOW you. I can see you very politely explaining the situation, where many would just start yelling.