Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Strong Women



I have been thinking a lot lately about our family legacy. As I spent the last nine days with my grandmommy, her three daughters (my mom and aunts) and their grown daughters (my cousins), I was constantly aware of the similarities between each of us. My grandmommy is the person responsible for these things. The gifts that she has given each of us are far too many to name. Some of these gifts include strong faith in God, unconditional love of family, open mindedness, love of self, strength to overcome tough situations and the desire to always put family first.

I overheard my Aunt Marcella say on more than one occasion "I could have never done this without my sisters and my girls." And even though my grandmommy is fighting that horrible Alzheimer monster, she is still able to express concern for her children when they are in need - in this case, it was my aunt losing her husband.

My grandmommy instilled in each of us the 'I CAN DO ANYTHING' attitude. She loved her family, took care of her husband, worked hard and still had time to help her neighbor.

Although it was under a sad and stressful situation, I feel so fortunate to have been able to spend this last week with the women in my family. I was able to watch them all love each other and take care of each other (and me too) - with no questions asked. What a beautiful group of women.

I am so thankful!

P.S. The only thing that could've made it better is if you were with us too Niecie! We missed you!!!

2 comments:

HeatherRene said...

This brought me to tears. Happy for the love in this picture, sad for your Aunt M, happy to see Aunt C again, it's been forever! Glad you and your mom could take that trip, and your Gmom with all of you. Beautiful picture, and sentiments. ly,h

Codi said...

You were a tremedous friend as we "threw cards" to distract me from the inevitable...the difficult...the stressful. It's been too long, cousin.