Saturday, April 25, 2009

Earth Day

There are many many things that I love about our elementary school. This is just a small sample of the love and joy that the staff and community is committed to bringing to each child on a daily basis.


This year for Earth Day the kids 'cooked' hot dogs inside of Pringles cans, they made sun viewers using cereal boxes and they made solar panels out of gigantic garbage bags. The really great thing about all of the Earth Day activities is that the big kids taught the younger kids each one of these projects.


One thing that I am so thankful for is the presence of music at our school. This year at the end of the school day, the whole school (all 360 kids) met out on the slab and had a little music festival. The kids (K-6) sang four songs. I wish we had a video camera so that I could capture the beauty and innocence of these kids singing these songs. It is always very moving to me when I hear them sing songs with a message.

So I am sharing with you three short videos of the kids singing. I don't share these with you to brag on our kids or to be boastful about our great little school. I hope these videos bring a little joy to your day and are a small reminder that there is still a lot of hope in the world.

You are My Sunshine (Just about the sweetest thing you've ever heard.)



Here Comes the Sun (One of my FAVORITE songs.)


This Land (The kids sing this song every Monday morning during the weekly assembly after the Plege of Allegiance.)


P.S. I am sad to say that our little camera can't hold much. I didn't get to record them singing the last song - What a Wonderful World. Boo Hoo.

No comments: